Will USCIS help me, or make accommodations for me, if I have a disability?

USCISUSCIS will make every effort to make reasonable accommodations for applicants with
disabilities who need modifications to the naturalization process in order to demonstrate
their eligibility. For example, if you use a wheelchair, we will make sure you can be
fingerprinted, interviewed, and sworn in at a location that is wheelchair accessible. If
you are hearing impaired, the officer conducting your interview will speak loudly and
slowly, or we will work with you to arrange for an American sign language interpreter.
If you require an American sign language interpreter at the oath ceremony, please
indicate that in your Form N-400 in the section where you are asked if you need an
accommodation for a disability. If you use a service animal such as a guide dog, your
animal may come with you to your interview and oath ceremony.
We are continuing to work on better ways to make the naturalization process easier
for applicants with disabilities. If you know in advance that you will need some
kind of accommodation, write a letter explaining what you will need and send it to
the USCIS district office that will interview you after you receive your interview
notice. If you have a physical or developmental disability or a mental impairment so
severe that you cannot acquire or demonstrate the required knowledge of English and
civics, you may be eligible for an exemption of those requirements. To request an
exemption, you must file a “Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions” (Form
N-648). See page 26 of this Guide for more information.

  • Attorney: Ernesto Luna
  • Status: Pending